Ministry of Government and Consumer Services
Central Production and Verifications Branch
375-393 University Avenue, 2nd Floor
Harmonized Sales Tax (HST):
Canada Revenue Agency
Registration for HST is optional if you are earning less than $30,000 of sales revenues for the year. You may not charge HST to clients unless you are registered with Canada Revenue Agency.
Musical Performance Rights Licenses:
Businesses that have performances, authorize performances or communicate music to the public require a SOCAN license.
Music Sound License:
Re: Sound Licenses
Businesses that require playing recorded music in public for business purposes require a Re: Sound license.
Municipal Operating License:
Municipal Licensing & Standards Division
850 Coxwell Avenue, 3rd floor
Zoning Requirements and Sign Permits for your location:
(All inquiries are made in person - contact closest district)
North: 5100 Yonge St., 1st Fl.
West: 2 Civic Centre Court, 1st Fl.
South: 100 Queen St. W., 1st Fl.
East: 150 Borough Dr., 3rd Fl.
Toronto Public Health:
- All businesses serving food are required to comply with the Ontario Food Premises Regulation (www.ontario.ca/business/laws/regulation/900562) as well as Toronto's Licensing By-Law No. 574-2000 (www.toronto.ca/legdocs/bylaws/2000/law0574.pdf).
- Premise must receive a “PASS” status by Toronto Public Health in order to operate.
- Food handler certification is required for one supervisor per shift in the food and beverage industry with a backup person with training in their absence
Food Premises Inspection
ChemTRAC (Chemicals in Toronto) Reduction and Awareness in our Community. The City of Toronto bylaw requires facilities and businesses to track and report toxic chemicals. http://www.toronto.ca/chemtrac/
- Coffee Association of Canada, http://www.coffeeassoc.com/
- Tea Association of Canada, http://www.tea.ca/
- Canada Business Ontario,http://www.cbo-eco.ca/en/index.cfm/starting/how-to-start-a/how-to-start-a-restaurant-or-catering-business-in-ontario/