Ministry of Government and Consumer Services
Central Production and Verifications Branch
375-393 University Avenue, 2nd Floor
(Required if serving alcohol)
Alcohol & Gaming Commission of Ontario
To participate in the “bring your own wine” (BYOW) and “take home the rest” (THTR) programs, please contact the AGCO. Visit http://www.agco.on.ca/pdfs/en/info_bull/i9009.pdf for more details.
Smart Serve Training Ontario Program
(Mandatory for Liquor Licence holder, managers, a servers of beverage alcohol and security staff). They must all hold a Smart Serve certificate.
As of June 1st, 2011, new rules have a direct impact on Regulation 719 - 'License to Sell Liquor' and Regulation 389/91 - 'Special Occasion Permits' of the Ontario Liquor License Act. Please visit the following links to view the amendments:
Harmonized Sales Tax (HST):
Canada Revenue Agency
Registration for HST is optional if you are earning less than $30,000 of sales revenues for the year. You may not charge HST to clients unless you are registered with Canada Revenue Agency.
Music Sound License:
Re: Sound Licenses
Businesses that require playing recorded music in public for business purposes require a Re: Sound license.
Musical Performance Rights Licenses:
Businesses that have performances, authorize performances or communicate music to the public require a SOCAN license.
850 Coxwell Avenue, 3rd Fl.
Zoning Requirements and Sign Permits for your location:
(All inquiries are made in person - contact closest district)
North: 5100 Yonge St., 1st Fl.
West: 2 Civic Centre Court, 1st Fl.
South: 100 Queen St. W., 1st Fl.
East: 150 Borough Dr., 3rd Fl.
Toronto Public Health:
- All businesses serving food are required to comply with the Ontario Food Premises Regulation (https://www.ontario.ca/business/laws/regulation/900562) as well as Toronto's Licensing By-Law No. 574-2000 (www.toronto.ca/legdocs/bylaws/2000/law0574.pdf).
- Premise must receive a “PASS” status by Toronto Public Health in order to operate.
- Food handler certification is required for one supervisor per shift in the food and beverage industry with a backup person with training in their absence.
- See Toronto Public Health - Starting a Food Business https://www.toronto.ca/community-people/health-wellness-care/health-programs-advice/food-safety/food-safety-for-businesses/starting-a-food-business/.
Food Handler Certification
Food Premises Inspection
Toronto Public Health
- Restaurants Canada, http://www.restaurantscanada.org/
- Ontario Restaurant, Hotel & Motel Association, http://www.orhma.com/
- Canadian Culinary Federation, http://ccfccottawa.ca/
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency, http://www.inspection.gc.ca/
- Ontario Ministry of Agriculture & Food, www.omafra.gov.on.ca/index.html
- Canada Business Ontario Guides, http://www.cbo-eco.ca/ Search “How to Start a Restaurant or Catering Business in Ontario”
- International Hotel & Restaurant Association, http://www.ih-ra.org/